Are planning on redesigning your business website? Will you be working with a web designer? If yes, then you must know that most web designers love to start out with a clean slate. However, you must insist on incorporating crucial links, effective copy and high-ranking web pages into your new website. Here are five tips that can make working with a web designer easy:
1. Do not make things worse
While analyzing your e-commerce website, some businesses can be very easily satisfied and become complacent, while others can interfere too much with things that are already working well. Avoid both these extremes during the resigning process. Ask your service provider to provide you with solid reasons, why your website needs a redesign. Check the facts or go through case studies to find out if a revamp can actually result in more sales.
2. Who will manage the redesign?
Without an effective project plan, a complete architectural restyling cannot be possible. The same is true of an ecommerce site redsign. The entire redesign project should be carefully handled, if you want a successful outcome. Ask your service provider who will be in-charge of handling the project. Lack of clarity in this, could mean that you are responsible. Insist on the hiring of an experienced project manager who will completely control the scope, schedule and budget of the project.
3. Recycle the best parts of your site
While redesigning, remember not to discard your old website. Do not allow your webs designers to get on with their own version of your website, while the important information in your old website is neglected. Use your old site as a basis for research and spend a few hours reviewing the analytics. If you are already running a successful online store, then your website should be doing something right. If you are still confused, talk to your customers and enquire what they like and dislike about your site. Continue reading →
When it comes to a business website, only building a site is not good enough. You need to get “feedback” from your users in order to know if you are running a successful website. How do you find out? You use Web Analytics. With a simple web analytics system in place, you can gather data about the visitors to your website and you can start learning about them. Web analytics can help you answer questions like Who are your visitors? Where are they coming from? And how are they interacting with your site?
There are really a million things that you can measure on your business website, but the following are the most important:
- Visitors: A visitor to your site is calculated from the time a computer accesses your website until the time when they leave. If that same visitor returns, it will be again recorded in the “total visits” figure
- Unique visitors: This filters out repeat visits from the same person
- Page views and actions: Page Views are metrics used to track when your website loads a single page. Actions on the other hand measures the things that take place within a page – like placing a bid on eBay, liking a blog post or playing a video file
- Referrers: One of the major ways in which a website receives visitors is from other sites that link to them. Such sites are known as Referrers. Analyzing referrer data can tell you which sites are the most valuable for sending your site traffic
- Searches: This refers to search engines like Google, who will send you loads of traffic. Through searches, you can find out which keywords people are using to find your business website
- Geography: Finding out where your visitors are coming from can be eye-opening. Maybe your site is getting a sudden traffic surge from a new part on the globe. Through web analytics you can find out why such a thing is happening and leverage the new business ventures that if offers
- Goals: Goals can help you track when your visitors complete a specific action. For example, when a visitor makes a purchase from your online store, you can accurately record how much the purchase was actually worth
- Campaigns: You can use campaign tracking to show what happens to the visitors that your site has received from each different advert. This will give you a clear picture of which ads are sending you the most number of customers
- Advanced filtering: With this option, you can easily split your visitors into groups. You can filter out visitors by their location, how they found your website or even by the Smartphone they are using. The options are limitless
- Social media: You can find out what your customers are saying about your business by using tools to monitor conversations on popular social networks like Facebook or Twitter. You can also get complete statistics.
Continue reading →